Friday, September 20, 2019

Why Would Chewbacca or Cousin Itt Wear Tiny Braids?

What feels like a gazillion years ago, I wrote a web serial set in a world were myth had spilled into reality. One of the main characters was a ciguapa, a kind of land-siren who could enthrall anyone who saw any part of his face. He was a good guy. So, to protect others, “He wore sunglasses, and used his long living hair to craft a mask of thin braids around his face.”
Yep, that’s exactly how I described it. Then, a few months ago, my writing partner was reading the old manuscript, and not exactly containing her mad cackles, pretty much asked me, “What’s Chewbacca doing in your story?”

The moment the words left her mouth, I saw exactly what she meant... and burst into laughter. I’ve tweaked the description since then. The character no longer looks like Chewbacca or Cousin Itt in tiny braids. Still, whenever I’m writing a scene with that character in it, I can’t help thinking, Hey, Chewie.


for Poets United Moonlight Musings: the Interactive Edition, #2 (“That’s Not What I Meant”, where I invite you to write about misread words that conjure hysterical interpretations, about grammatical errors (horrors?) which change the meaning of a piece, about descriptions (which we thought brilliant) that end up filling our readers’ minds with images we can hardly recognize)


“Cousin Itt”, by @GroovyGothic

gloriously-haired Chewbacca, via Some Nerd Thing

25 comments:

  1. I mean, Chewbacca is still a pretty cool guy. :D But I want to read about Magaly originals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I LOVE Chewbacca. And Cousin Itt. But I'm sure your character was very nice too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahahahaha!!❤️ I can't decide what I love more Chewbacca or your article! This is beautifully rendered, Magaly! 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha...ha! You cracked me up with Chewie. :D A lovely prompt, it's good to laugh about these misunderstandings sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Chewbacca turning up in your manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pleeeeeze. Dont mess with Cousin ITT. She maybe He... is a member of my family! :0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chewie seems to hold fort. He seems formidable even when he sports a smile.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a howl! You’re the victim of your own imagination 😂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! I'm so far behind with your posts at the moment. I completely missed wee Itt! Thank you, Lady M! 😘🖤xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it took me over three weeks to reply to this comment, your timing was just right. LOL!

      Delete

I love reading your insights, so share them with me; and if Blogger is acting foolish, and labels you Anonymous, please add your name at the end of your comment. 😘